In all the hustle and bustle of volunteers working long hours, nights, and weekends to provide the best possible, positive recreational softball experience for young ladies in Humboldt County, we sometimes fail to share and/or emphasize important policies that have been adopted by the Board in past years. Although aspects of the Mad River Organization's "tobacco-free" policy are reflected in its parent/player and coaches code of conduct, we felt it important to "re-share" this policy with the Humboldt Fastpitch community, to the benefit of its young athletes. We will again share this policy with the Humboldt County Department of Public Health with a request for "tobacco-free" signage to post at our various fields scattered across the county. We appreciate league officials, umpires, coaches, and parents serving as quality role models to the League's young players, including fully embracing the intent of our Organization's "Tobacco-Free" Policy.
Board of Directors
Mad River Girls Fastpitch Softball Association
Humboldt Fastpitch (Recreation Division)
Mad River Mist (Travel Ball Division)
Subject: Tobacco Free Sports Policy
Background: The Mad River Girls Fastpitch Association, Inc. (Association) is a not-for-profit, 501(c) 3 organization dedicated to the development of good citizenship, self-esteem, sportsmanship, and physical fitness within the youth of Humboldt County through participation in recreational and competitive softball. Consistent with the health-related goals of the Association and because of the dangers of tobacco and the risk it poses to our youth, the Association supports a 100% Tobacco-Free Sports environment.
Adopted Policy: The Association’s Board of Directors, in conjunction with the Humboldt County Department of Public Health’s “Tobacco Free Humboldt” program, have adopted a 100% Tobacco Free Sports Policy in order to provide a healthy environment in which youth can learn and play fastpitch softball. This policy serves to educate coaches, umpires, and parents about the importance of being tobacco-free role models for young players. This policy is also meant to discourage players from using tobacco products and to promote healthy lifestyles. This policy, which will be in effect at all Association sponsored events regardless of location (includes schools, parks, and private venues), mandates the following:
• All tobacco products are prohibited by all persons during games, practices, and all other Association-sponsored activities. Tobacco use is prohibited at softball fields, restrooms, concession stands, spectator seating areas, and event parking lots.
• Tobacco advertising is prohibited at all events and in publications produced by the Association to eliminate mixed messages that children receive through tobacco advertising at sporting events.
• The sale of tobacco look alike candy is prohibited at all Association events.
• Notice of this policy shall be given to all parents, coaches, and visitors. Any person smoking will be politely asked to stop and be reminded about the Association’s tobacco free policy. A second violation will be addressed in a similar way by a league representative. A third violation will result in the person smoking being asked to leave the field or event.
• The Association will endeavor to post "Tobacco Free" signs or posters at all its sponsored events.
• The Association supports the efforts of staff, volunteers, and players who are trying to quit or reduce their use of tobacco and endorses referrals to cessation services like California Smokers’ Helpline at 1 800 NO BUTTS.